Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sonoma Race Report 2011 - Saturday



SATURDAY

Today was a somewhat “lazy” day in the garages with only the two Cup practices in the morning made all the more serene by walking to the track through a field of grazing sheep…only in San Francisco! 


I beat most of the drivers to the garage and got a kick out of JJ being told by the officials he couldn’t park where he wanted to…not sure why but it was funny.

I nosed in on pit stall selections for a bit and then went to check out the car.  We were pretty much good to go and put up some fast laps in the first practice.   After the initial practice, Kurt and Brad had a team powwow in the #22 hauler.  

 
Clearly whatever Kurt told Brad worked as Bad Brad came away with the trophy – literally!   Apparently Sonoma is awarding prizes for being fastest in practice to up the competition.   Not only did he get some hardware, he also got a lovely case of wine specially made for Infineon by Shelby...

To understand the odd the phenomenon…(BK beating out KB in practice) we called in the expert Mythbuster!  

 Yet another job for the Mythbuster…hmmmm…cigarette butt on a tire, who could it be.    ADDINGTON!!

 
After practice the plan was to head out and watch the NW race with my blogger buddies but George, our hauler driver, managed to get me a pass for a hot lap around the track.  I figured, meh, a hot lap with a "professional" driver in a Toyota Camry how good could this be?  Then they brought out the helmets...Well I was glad I stayed!    There were four cars on the track RACING AND PASSING around the track, what a hoot!   I was giggling and freaking out about not being on the preferred line going into the turns.  The poor older guys stuck in the car with me were probably displeased I ruined their videos.     Here's our fearless "professional" driver...who by the way brought us home 4th out of four but we were grinning like banshees!

 (The video of the entire lap is too big to upload to YouTube on the hotel internet but I will post as soon as I can...) 

Okay!  Off to bed for an early start tomorrow. I plan on being in the garages when they open at 7a to finish off the questions with the pit crew and soak it all up!

5 comments:

  1. Too cool to see Tory Belleci there! Looks like you're having loads of fun, I hope Kurt has a good run for you (although not too good, I want my driver to win afterall haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I wish I was there... Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they're handing out 'pimp cups' as trophies in Sonoma. Y'all have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tyler! Good to see you around these parts again...Tory was really cool - we brainstormed with him for a bit on what myth he could bust about NASCAR (how did Smoke fit in the F1 seat?)
    Sorry your boy couldn't catch us!! =)

    You do Dwindy, you do...its fantastic in person but a LOT of walking. Good news is Melissa get handicap parking and golf cart service so you could hop in on that too!

    I swear that trophy was plastic Gene...so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reckon you were on to something with painting the sheep....

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think race fans!!