Friday, April 9, 2010

Phoenix Friday Garage Report

A spoiler can be defined in many ways...yes we have a "new" (old) addition to the car that is looking mighty slapped welded together for the moment as NASCAR fine tunes the specs.   Didn't realize how much I disliked the wing until it was gone. 
Then we have Superman who is spoiling the entire series...here we see JJ and super evil genius Knaus passing the secret "black portfolio" on the way to their team meeting in the 24 hauler after qualifying.   I am pretty sure Chad was passing it to Jimmie so he wouldn't have to share its contents with the other crew chiefs with the hope that the drivers wouldn't make head or tails of the jibberish within.  Forget lugs (and cookies), we have a new target - get on the storyline SpeedBeagle!

And finally we have just plain spoiled rotten - as in my dad spent lots of money so I can race cars - but yet somehow is in the top 12 in points.  

Oops!  Didn't mean to put that picture of Junior in there (BTW talk about spoiling a beautiful face - ugh that beard is worse in person!)

No no no, I was talking about Mr. Menard.

Enough spoilage?   Moving on...so I was working on my psychological voodoo trying to perfect "getting in the drivers heads."  Naturally, I had to try my stuff out on Smoke first.   I stood for much of the practices right behind Kurt's garage stall, which just happened to be the spot that Smoke would see in his rear view mirror as he backed out of his stall a few garages down.   After getting a mirror full of that pumpkin-headed Miller Lite girl starring him down for nearly 3 hours he finally succumbed - as Smoke pulled out for his final run in Happy Hour he smacked Bowyer's tool cart with his right front fender sending the tool cart skidding off nearly ramming some photographers and bashing in his fender.  I am no Yoda, but I might be onto something!   Sadly, I have no pictures of the crash so I'll just give you one of Jabba the Hutt instead.
Here we have Da Biff playing the role of Obi Wan as he counsels young Luke (aka Kasey) on how best to lay down a fast lap in the desert.


Speaking of Dancing with the Star Wars - nope, sorry no Helio, I am still waiting to Mambo with him but instead I had a lovely exchange with our 3rd place qualifer, Sam Hornish who was quite pleased with his quick step today.   Interesting to note, some have speculated that the engine and mechanical problems the 77 team has had this year could be due to over-revving the engine in the pits.  Its an IRL thing apparently and hard to unlearn. 
Someone who is not going to be dancing anytime soon is last week's winner  and someone who I hope you did not pick on your Fantasy team this week.  The Hamster is clearly hobbled - Casey Mears traded off with him several times in practice but Denny qualified the #11.  Seems he was none too pleased with is effort as he came screaming into the garages and fishtailed it into his garage stall stopping on a dime in the nick of time.  Shockingly no one bothered him for autographs as he limped his way to his hauler.

And in honor of Kurt Busch Nation - finally your Kurt and Brew crew updates for the day!   First, atta'boys went all around for their recent efforts.  In response on how best to represent in the stands - wear Miller Lite gear, drink Miller Lite, have fun and cheer loud!  
Kurt was in good spirits today.  The car was fast in race trim and we knew we would have to pass some cars after pulling the 2nd qualifying spot.   Kurt and Eva spent their off weekend in St. Lucia while I believe Steve Addington was in St. Thomas.   So they are coming into this race weekend relaxed and ready to go. 

Unfortunately, we had a few problems getting through inspection so we were really late getting out to the grid today.  Above is the team pow-wow deciding how best to make adjustments on the width of the car in order to pass.   Billy had to run back to the garages so I was the unofficial tool cart girl again pulling it all the way down pit road.  We were so late that Kurt jumped in the car after the final inspection spot and got pushed out to the grid.  It was a little frantic to get the car ready to go but all in all they were pleased with the effort.  
Word on the street is that Roger will be in attendance on race day and last but not least a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Stump - our  hauler driver who turns 57 today.   Being soaked with Miller Lite in Victory Lane is better than cake right?

16 comments:

  1. Where is the picture of the tool cart girl???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Junior, deer season is over! Loose the beard!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was moving too fast for pictures! LOL


    Hey Athens! Agreed...OMG he looks horrible in person. Good thing I like him for his driving ability not just as eye candy. LMAO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise the new spoiler was vertical...the old one wasn't, was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your garage reports!

    Jabba the Hut looks like he's been visiting Pizza the Hut.

    Maybe Jr will cut the beard when he wins. ***insert ZZ Top joke***

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tez...I don't think they were. I believe they had a certain angle that was the limit. 50 or 60 degrees maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will Jr still be in the top ten when the first caution flag flies?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do i even waste my time watching Jr race? I won't make it to Texas Kristen. Sorry to see the 2 car tore up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aunt Kristen, thanks for all the hard work you do to let us know whats going on behind the wall. All of us appreciate it more then you will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tez - Gene is correct - this is new style spoiler. Will have picture of the fin in next report which is the part that will actually change at Texas...


    Gene - Glad somebody loves them! =) I shouldda thought of Jabba the Pizza Hutt! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh and I am choosing to ignore that ZZ top joke...


    Thanks for the appreciation and the sympathy Mark and/or Kaylee and/or Peanut!! =) At least Jr did better than Kurt this week...
    Will be thinking of you and wishing healthy thoughts for your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. K> that's for mentioning KBN!!
    LOVE the garage reports! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really funny and great garage report as always. I had Hamlin on my fantasy bench and was really glad I chose not to start him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks DF! Glad you liked it - more to come on Kurt and crew for the race report.


    Good choice Gonger! LOL I can't believe Hamlin stayed in the car...I might skip him as a choice for Texas too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think race fans!!