Monday, February 8, 2010

V8 Isn't Just For Breakfast Anymore!


Road Rules are the Pits

I haven’t seen much written about the two new pit road rules that NASCAR has introduced for 2010 so thought I would pass them along. 

The first new rule states a driver can no longer speed down pit road to avoid being lapped.  For example, your favorite driver cannot sit in their pits getting repairs for as long as possible then hit the after burners to beat the pace car out and end up on the tail end of the field.  Nope now if they do, they will be put a lap down.  

I like this one as it should add to some strategy and keep those on pit road just a bit safer.   It could result in more lapped cars out there and might effect the quality of repair work done putting even more pressure on those pit crews.  

The second rule change fixes the situation when a driver crosses the pit-road commitment line under green but then the yellow comes out before the driver hits the pit-road entrance line.  Now, the driver can continue down the closed pit road be put back in line where the car was when it entered pit road.
This one seems like a no-brainer and takes away just a little bit of that bad racing luck. 

Please keep in mind, however, that these are NASCAR rules so the likelihood they are actually enforced consistently is ??



A Word on Bump Drafting…

The “Powers That Be” have also announced they will punish bump drafting no more and it is up to the drivers to self police out on the track.   I dunno about you, but I think there was plenty of bump drafting last year with no less than five NASCAR babies on the way!

Cousin Carl will be the first changing diapers with his first baby girl due during the Vegas race weekend.   ESad will follow in March with his first son.    Then we have the holy trinity of babies –The Champ with his first, Big Daddy with his second, and Mr. Juanderful with his third - all due this summer.   
If you need a sleeper Daytona 500 fantasy racing pick, I would pick from one of these expert bump drafters if I were you…

Speaking of fantasy leagues – if you haven’t joined KLV’s NASCAR NUTS on Yahoo Sports time is running short!  Group ID is #15288 and the password is “lugnut”.

Ok, I Am So Totally Getting This!

Since I never did get my Dale Jr GPS last year (and as a result still have a perfect record finding my parking spot!) I think I will have to put the SoundRacerV8 on my wish list. 



My little Nissan Sentra so needs this gadget!  Now if they would only make it in Dale Jr or Miller Lite colors…

Bloggers Unite Sonoma 2010

Sounds like there is interest in doing another blogger race meet up at Sonoma again this year.   RA6AN and I will definitely be going and would love to invite the rest of you to join us for the June 20th weekend.    Anyone interested leave a comment and we can start planning early!   


Hold On To Your Lugs!

And finally, no lugnut will be safe as I am heading to Fontana for the Cup race in a few weeks with the Miller Lite team.    Any questions for the Brew Crew, Kurt or others in the garages feel free to ask below and I will do my best to get some answers!   I am really looking forward to meeting Steve Addington – he just seems like a kick in the pants!

16 comments:

  1. KRIS,

    WANNA TRY ONE MORE TIME WITH THE TONY-CINDI PICTURES, WOULD STILL LIKE TO BEABLE TO GIVE THEM TO CINDI'S MOM.

    MIKE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey GUNNY!

    I will bring them with me but I am considered "working" this weekend so cannot ask for autographs.

    Have you tried sending a copy of them to Tony directly with a short letter re: Cindy? I am sure Smoke would eventually get them signed and back to you...send self addressed stamped envelope with the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is back.

    Good luck with Addington. Seems like a nice easy going guy who can put up with a Busch brothers rant without losing his cool. Just don't look for him to win any races for your driver...ala Knaus.

    Those Penske Dodges look pretty fast in Daytona, so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gene -

    Can any crew chief win races for their driver a-la Knaus??! LOL

    Penske should be stout in the first few races...will be interesting to see how KB and BK work together too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all need to have a blogger meet up at Nascar's other road course so that I can be there :P

    And this might be a dumb question or one thats already been answered, but I wonder if the crew chiefs watch the race telecast when other crew chiefs are being interview, just to see if they can get a heads-up on what they're going to do or how they are on fuel, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tyler -

    Feel free to organize a blogger meet up at the Glen...there might be bloggers that live by you! Are you going to any races this year?

    There are no dumb questions, I will ask!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am afraid to ask how bump drafting related to a few of the drivers wifes expecting babies. Nevr mind I get it. I think.

    Good to see you writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kristen!

    Glad to see you blogging again! With the five new additions, it DOES give new meaning to "bump drafting!" I like both rule changes, but I fear they're going to be inconsistent in enforcing them. (READ: they'll allow Dale Jr to stay on pit road as long as possible and not get lapped.) I'll have my Daytona 500 pick on Gas and Go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Photo! Thanks...Don't ask - just pretend it is funny. LOL


    Hey Jon! I dont think NASCAR will be that blatant with the pit road rules. Junior wont benefit from any rule calls unless he gets his butt in gear this year anyway! LOL Will look for your G&G...

    ReplyDelete
  10. if I am still here (in other words; if my job is posted again), I might consider coming down for Sonoma, Kristen...would certainly be funky to do it anyway, lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Booyah! Would love to have you join up Tez!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to see you blogging again. Hadn't heard about those new pit rule changes. NASCAR still kind of just does whatever they want though. Hope you have a good time in Fontana!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like I'm only going to be able to make it to the Glen, though I had ambitions to get to Daytona for the July race, but it doesn't look like thats going to happen. Not enough of the green stuff haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Gonger! It does seem that way doesnt it. Like yesterday I guess Chad was late to drivers meeting and Lance McGrew never bothered to show up. People were clamoring for penalties but the rule book only states "they MIGHT or MIGHT NOT" be penalized for missing a meeting...sigh. They always work in the grey dont they!

    Hey Tyler! Well the Glen is a great race to go to...I gots to get me to Daytona as well! Dang that green stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey KLV -

    Thanks for highlighting the new rules. They should add a few wrinkles - and frankly should have been changed a while ago.

    Sonoma would be fun, but I don't know if I can make it. It is a bit early, so I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can make it fit in! It was a Blast last year! :)

    Hope you had a great time at Daytona!

    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Annette!

    Would love to have you join up in Sonoma again this year, hope its in the cards!

    Fontana not Daytona! Fun will be had!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think race fans!!