Saturday, June 20, 2009

Phoenix Friday

Finally here is the inside scoop from my time in the garages at Phoenix!   I will get the Saturday Garage report out soon and also have a blog focusing on Kurt and the Brew Crew at Phoenix.


Friday - Practice and Quals


The teams arrived in Phoenix on Thursday and had the cars already through initial inspections so they would be ready to roll onto the track for the 10a first practice.   I arrived at the track around 9a, grabbed my credentials and found the Brew Crew already hard at work. 



(From left:  Jeffrey (new car chief), Steve (rear-end mechanic), Billy (windshield/interior) and Darren (engine))


As Steve. the rear-end mechanic likes to say to me with a smile,  "If you can't get there on time, get there when you can."   As they toiled in the hot Arizona sun I made my rounds to say hello to the rest of the crew and others in the garages I have gotten to know.   The first practice was a marathon 2 hours and started with a scare for the Brew Crew as the Miller Lite Dodge shut itself off just as Kurt pulled out for practice.   The crew went to work immediately correcting the problem -- I think something with the ignition box and got the Blue Deuce out on the track.


While they were practicing I made my way over to the now famous Start and Parkers to snoop around.   It was a sad sight to see these teams with little to no equipment, no visable hauler, one small tool box and most of the teams don't even have uniforms.   Brandon Ash's crew was working in jeans and matching T-shirts.   Here we have a shot of Blaney's #66 Prism Motorsports Toyota. 



My sources tell me that owner Phil Parsons has no intention of finishing races, the crew does not even get paid (Blaney or who ever is driving does) and that the officials are not going after their bogus reasons for dropping out of the races because if they make the start and parkers tear down their cars then they would have to tear down the legit cars and they don't want to make the legit teams work that hard (or the officials don't want to work that hard).  


I told my source that fans would be highly disappointed to hear that Blaney was okay with this and the resopnse was "well if Blaney was a better driver he wouldn't be in this situation, sorry truth hurts."  OUCH!   So since these crews aren't even getting paid I decided to stick with my job of pulling the tool box through inspections for the Brew Crew instead.


There was only a half an hour in between practice and Happy Hour and it seemed all the drivers were doing their media interviews during that time.    Everywhere you looked --drivers drivers everywhere.   Here is our very own Lee Spencer getting the scoop on Junior's new diet...


 


I was peeking in on Carl Edward's interview and wasn't really paying attention to whose hauler area I was standing in and out pops "THE SHOW" to grab an icy cold beverage... 


  


Of course, Smoke had to blow off some fans asking for autographs on his way to talk to his teammate after practice to compare notes.   He and Ryan talked the entire time in between practices and had fans drooling with delight.     


     


And as SpeedBeagle so graciously pointed out -- The #2 hauler was right next to Gordon's hauler in the garages (remember that they line up according to points and the current Champ always gets the first spot) so I have lots of pictures of Jeffy poo...and yes, also a few of those uber-important, heavy little golden lugs too(!)   


          


After Happy Hour the crews had a few hours to get the cars through inspection before qualifying.  I asked them if anything was new on the car other than the longer studs and they said this antennae -- no one on the crew really knew what it was for but they thought it had something to do with the TV cameras.



Also new this year are the super cute new engine vent covers (ok I don't really know what that part of the car is called so feel free to chime in).    NASCAR is making the teams provide them now and some of the teams are getting pretty creative!      


The sleek Mobil 1 pegausus...



The cuddly Aarons Dream Machine pup...



and of course the obvious Miller Lite six-pack!



We pushed the Miller Lite Dodge out on pit road and lined up for qualifying.   I just love this  because I am "with the team" and can stay on pit road where only the broadcast media is allowed -- so I can get cool pictures like this...



and chat with the Penske teammates and get them to pose for a picture.



And snap this shot for our very own RA6AN...



Kurt laid down a great qualifying lap, picking up a lot of speed from practice.  The crew was only expecting a top 15 starting spot.  Must have been the pep talk by the Captain just before Kurt went out on the track that did the trick.



After qualifying was over, I did not stay for the Nationwide race but instead hit the road to visit with my family.    I have much more to come in the next blog about race day including more info on those pesky longer studs, even more problems with the 88 team, and a poor baby bird!    Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think race fans!!