Saturday, June 20, 2009

Your Atlanta Winning Pit Crew!

A big CONGRATS goes out to Kurt Busch and the Miller Lite Racing team on their dominating win this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway!  After all their struggles the past year adapting to the COT, I am very proud of these guys for their perseverance and hope they all enjoy the well-deserved spoils of Victory!


For a little tribute to the over-the-wall guys for their stellar work this weekend, I thought I would share with you their answers to this question:


“You may not believe it, but as far as jobs go, at one time in my life I…”   (Courtesy of TRPR.com)


Ray Gallaghan, Jackman: “worked at Auto Bell Car Wash during high school and the first year of college.  I was like their MVP guy in that I knew how to do anything there.  Inside cleanup and vacuuming were my specialties.”   (Ray --these skills will be a big hit with the ladies!)



Jay Hackney, Front Tire Changer:  “worked in a sawmill.  My dad knew how hard the work was and he wanted me to get off on the right foot while I was getting out of school and having to do things on my own.  I did everything from cutting and hauling the dropped trees to all the work at the mill.  Dad was right, that was the hardest work I can imagine doing…”  (Jay puts his sawing and cutting skills to work on the BBQ)


 


Travis Johnson, Rear Tire Changer: “worked on a pheasant farm performing all the jobs there…yeah, even de-feathered and gutted them…I don’t talk about it much because my girlfriend doesn’t like it.  I grew up on a dairy farm, so it really wasn’t all that strange to me…(Travis gave up on game meats and now snacks on Tasty Cakes)



Dave Littau, Front Tire Carrier:  “was a paid dish-washer.  It only took me two hours to figure out that kind of work was not for me.  Ever since I was 13 or so, I’ve never done anything else except something that was automotive-related…”  (Dave is the "senior" member on the pit crew and has gone from cleaning dishes to cleaning wheel wells)



Larry Robinett, Rear Tire Carrier:  “was a ‘repo man’ back out in Texas, where I grew up.  We had a nice little setup, with a truck that hid all our tools.  We could pull up front of a car that we were after, drop our tailgate, make our hitch and get out of there in a hurry.  I’m fortunate that I never got shot at, but there were a bunch of pretty hairy situations that I better not talk about…” (Oh my Larry!  This is so you...enough said!)


 


Chris Williams, Gasman:  “worked for a while waiting tables at a restaurant.”  Steve (father) comments, “Chris was really good at it, too.  He was working at Damon’s at the time.  I brought a huge group and we sat at one of his tables.  He came over and took our orders without writing a single thing down.  Man, was I ever impressed that our orders were perfect down to the little special items a couple of us requested.  Chris has always had a sharp mind and a great memory.  Working at that job probably helped him more in that department than he’d ever admit…”   (No garlic please, Chris and extra fries with that!)



Steve Williams, Catch Can:  “worked for four years at the General Electric plant north of Cincinnati where we built jet engines.  I was a union steward there when GE had the contract to build the F101 engines that powered the B-1B strategic bomber…”  (Wow, the rear end of the Miller Lite Dodge must look pretty simple compared to a Bomber engine!)



All I can say knowing these guys is ...HOW FITTING! 


(Thanks TR for this great inside story on the Brew Crew--italics and pictures are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think race fans!!